Many of you have commented that auditory processing is another factor making phone conversations extremely challenging, pointing to distorted phone connections as a the major culprit. Because phones, both landline and mobile, are prone to these issues, people are used to the need for repetition. It’s not uncommon to hear people sarcastically scapegoat their mobile phone service provider (i.e. “Glad I’m paying my bill for such wonderful service, X company”).
While your auditory processing issues lead to anxiety and frustration , perhaps you can cope by knowing that others deal with these same feelings, if for different reasons. As such, here are some scripted phrases that can help you get the information you need in the smoothest manner possible.
1. “I”m having a hard time hearing you. Could you repeat that?”
2. “I think we have a bad phone connection. I missed what you just said.”
3. “My phone just cut out. The last words I heard were…..”
4. “I’m in a low service area. Sorry about that! What did you say?”
5. “Ugh. Once again, (phone company), helping me realize why I pay my bill each month. Anyways, I’m sorry I missed what you just said.”